What is an emergency planning zone?
An emergency planning zone is established for each nuclear site, within which the various authorities and emergency services prepare protective measures. These zones are described in the national emergency plan for the management of nuclear and radiological accidents.
In an emergency situation, the evaluation of the situation will determine the intervention zone at the moment. It can differ from the emergency planning zone. An intervention zone is the zone in which the protective actions for the residents and the environment come into force at that moment.
Regarding sheltering and taking iodine tablets:
- Around the Doel, Tihange, Mol-Dessel, Borssele and Chooz sites, the contingency zone is a 20 km area around the site. These two measures are being prepared within this area.
- Around the installation of the IRE in Fleurus the zone extends to 10 km around the site.
- In a 100-km zone around these sites and the nuclear sites of nuclear sites of Gravelines and Cattenom (= the entire Belgian territory), the most vulnerable groups for prevention can obtain stable iodine tablets from all pharmacists in the country. The most vulnerable groups are children, pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and communities where children are present.
Regarding evacuation of the population:
- Around the sites of Doel, Tihange, Borssele and Chooz, governments are preparing for this exceptional measure in a 10-km area around the site.
- For the facility in the Mol-Dessel region, this zone is located 4 km around the site.
- This measure is not specifically prepared for the IRE facility in Fleurus, considering the size of the site and the possible accident scenarios.
These emergency planning zones do not prevent governments and citizens outside the zones from preparing for a potential nuclear accident.
What should I do if I live in an emergency planning zone?
- Get information about the best responses in case of nuclear accident
- Get iodine tablets at your pharmacist .
- Register on BE-Alert to be notified immediately in case of an emergency situation